Monday 8 November 2010

Initial Ideas and Target Audience

I have decided to make a magazine for my coursework based on a pop music genre following a girl band or solo singer. My singer(s) will be similar to stars such as Cheryl Cole, Amy Winehouse or Fergie or bands such as Girls Aloud, The Saturdays or The Sugababes. I would like my magazine to be a music magazine which includes some elements of fashion however this will limit my target audience to mainly girls as my singers would be the style icons I would fix my magazine on eliminating the appeal of my magazine for boys. Although doing this may make my magazine target audience widen for girls as some girls would prefer fashion over music and others would prefer music over fashion, this makes my magazine appropriate to suit both preferences. I want my magazine to focus on pop/r'n'b genre of music and the fashion be based around this genre too which would be fairly girly and quirky clothing with heavy jewellery.

My magazine will include a front page with adverts, images and magazine title as well as a contents page and double spread interview or article on my chosen celebrity.


The genre of my magazine is pop music which will be mainly aimed to be appealing to teenage girls around 16+ to an age of around 25. I have chosen girls in this age range because I think they are the most likely to spend money on music and fashion magazines particularly because they like to follow celebrities and the music charts and keep up to date with the changing media. I think women follow the media a lot more than men however this isnt always the case and this age range is when women are working so they have money to spend on extras such as magazines and it is also in this age range where they are most interested in looking their best. To make sure my magazine appeals to this category I will need to research what appeals to girls of this age by looking at different magazines available and what they use to draw in readers. To help me identify my target audience I am going to use
Gender which would be female mostly
Race would be any
Age which would be 16-25
Social economic status which would be middle class

I will analyse different magazine covers, content pages and articles and see the layouts and fonts which they use to target this target audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment